Search This Blog

Sunday 18 February 2018

Planning my first AG

So, wort chiller excepted, and that's being sorted this week, I'm all ready for my first all grain brew. I've been mulling this over, and this is what I have come up with.

What shall I brew?

It needed to be a style that would suit being put in a King Keg, as I really don't like bottling beer, and my last brew is going into bottles and I will need a break to get over the trauma. In my book, that eliminates any style that needs high carbonation levels (lagers and similar); any style that you would drink small amounts of infrequently as it would tie up a King Keg for too long (strong beers mainly) and finally anything that would need conditioning for a long time (same reasons / styles)

That leaves me with a fair range of styles still, three of which I want to brew on a regular basis ~ an English Golden Ale, an English Bitter and a Dark Mild.

For my first AG attempt, the golden ale looked initially like a sensible option ~ very simple grain and hop bill could produce something quite nice. However, if you've seen my mini mash posts, you'll know I'm struggling a bit with efficiency, which while I think I can improve this area, if it doesn't get better, a 2.5% golden ale will be a bit pants. Getting an English Bitter down to a T is a fine art, and best left until I am happy with the AG process, so I decided on a mild. Even if efficiency woes mean I end up with a 2.5% rather than a 3.1% beer, I think the dark malts will still give something drinkable and tasty. So I've settled on Graham Wheeler's clone of;


My Yeast Conundrum

I brought a selection of Crossmyloof brewery dried yeasts, and was initially very impressed with them. They are fantastic value, and take off like a rocket. However, I had a sort of sour, yeasty taste in the background of my modified Canadian blonde brewed with the real ale yeast. It eventually conditioned out almost completely, but it took ages. I have noticed that my Coopers IPA mini mash, using the US Pale yeast, has a similar taste to it, all be it in a much, much reduced prominence. On the homebrew forum, a couple of other people have noticed the same thing, although it has to be said we are in a minority and I'm by no means sure that it's anything to do with the yeast at all. However, my Coopers Ruby Porter / Old ale mini mash, that used the Mangrove Jacks Liberty Bell yeast doesn't have a hint of it, and it's still in the primary. I'll get to the bottom of it, but until I do, my three remaining CML yeasts I have in store (one Real Ale, one US Ple and a Californian Common) will remain unused until I get the hang of AG. So, what yeast to use? I did think of something nice and fruity, eithe Mangrove Jacks Old Empire or Danstar Windsor. However, they both have low attenuation rates according to many, and what with my efficiency problems, I don't want to end up with a 1% ABV beer or something! So I think for this brew I'll use the Liberty Bell yeast again.

So hopefully, wort chiller manufacture Monday; brew Tuesday.


No comments:

Post a Comment