Search This Blog

Friday 20 April 2018

GW's Hop Back Summer Lightning

Today's brewday was Graham Wheeler's Hop Back Summer Lightning clone.

Bit if a calamity at mash time; after 90 mins I turned the tap on to get a rush of wort then... nothing. I didn't think I could have a stick mash at 3L per Kg, so I investigated and found the bazooka filter had come off the inner barb of the tap, and the tap had blocked. So, it was a case of taking all the grain and wort out into an FV, unblocking the tap, refitting the filter, putting it all back in, then proceeding as normal. I need to look at that to try and stop that happening again. Anyway, the sparge went fin, but I was so anxious to get the bloomin wort out I didn't lauter that well, so we will have to see if that effects final clarity / taste. Cooling took longer than in colder weather, obviously, but other than that, all went well. Oh, apart from me touching the cooled wort with the tip of my unsanitised finger....

I used a crazy combo of 3x Coopers kit yeasts that I had hanging about in the fridge, one was a normal coopers yeast, one came with the ruby porter, and one with the IPA. That was because I realised I didn't have any Nottingham in stock, and didn't want to risk using the CML yeast I had in stock. I had a Mangrove Jacks that I could have used (Liberty Bell) but I need that for my next mild, and anyway, wanted to try the crazy coopers yeast combo. It will either work or it won't (this appears to be a reoccurring brewing theme of mine :laugh8: )

Final gravity was 1046, and I got 17.5 L into the FV, which if it drops to 1009 would mean an ABV of 4.86. That less than I should have got into the FV, and subsequently a higher FG, but I suspect that was due to messing about with the mash extending the mash time and me loosing some wort while transferring it into the FV temporarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment