Search This Blog

Thursday 26 April 2018

GW's Hop Back Summer Lightning update

The 3x combo Cooper yeast took off very quickly and a healthy yeast head was formed after less than 12 hours. All seemed to be going well...


Then, we have a perfect example of 'a little bit of knowledge' being a dangerous thing. I opened the brew fridge on day 3 and was met with a pungent, rotton egg smell. Now, I've had this before once or twice in the past with Coopers kits to no ill effect, but I made the mistake of searching the internet, and found a quote apparently from a John Palmer ( i.e. a beer god) book. Apparently, this meant one of two things; its normal for some lager yeasts, otherwise you have an infection.

Yikes. Panic set in....

However, I decided to ride it out, as there was nothing I could do, and a couple of days later it has gone. I think it's the yeast.

Today, I needed to move the brew fridge from the conservatory to the garage, and as I had to disturb the FV anyway I took the opportunity to take a sample and test it. It has dropped to 1007, so I assume it has done, and it tastes fine. I'm going to leave it for the usual 10 days - 2 weeks anyway to clean up after itself, cold crash it for a couple of days then bottle it, I think, although I may put it in a King Keg if it isn't very interesting. Either way, its  a success so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment