Search This Blog

Sunday 12 August 2018

Kentucky common update

Well, this is interesting. It's took off, with the Inkbird keeping the temp between 16 & 17. It must have been fairly vigorous, as it blew the top of the airlock off, but I've put it back on. Predictably, it isn't bubbling now but I can see activity. I think this is the air lock; the top part is too firm a fit so pressure builds up and it pops off.

It looks to be a proper bottom fermenting yeast, which as I understand it, is correct for the style; I read somewhere that some of these supposed Cali common yeasts were top fermenting ale yeasts that just happened to be quite clean, which isn't what they would have used in the gold rush era; they would have been bottom fermenting lager yeasts that could tolerate the higher temps. 

Either way, all the activity appears in the lower part of the fv with just a bit of crud on the top. 

All very interesting.

I've asked on the forum if a period of lagering will be required, as the packet and yeast specs say it may improve things. I'm hoping to get away with just a cold crash, and so far the wisdom of the forum suggests this will be OK. After all, the early American settlers wouldn't have had any means of doing this, so it will be true to style. I'll take the first gravity reading on Friday (after 1 week).


Update, Day 4 ~ OK, so no it has a think krausen and looks much like a top fermenting yeast, so who knows. I'll leave it alone now to see how it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment