Search This Blog

Thursday 16 August 2018

Kentucky common after 1 week

After a week, the experimental brew has dropped to between 1010 and 1012. It still looked fairly effervescent and active so it may have a couple of points to go. CML say it's Californian yeast performs in a similar manner to Mangrove Jack's Californian yeast. If that's the case, then brewers friend says it should finish around 1010, so I think it probably needs leaving another week to totally finish then clean up after itself. I am fermenting at the bottom end of its temperature range after all. Then I'll cold crash for a couple of days before packaging.

I tasted the sample and am quite hopeful for this brew. Firstly, and perhaps most importantly, it didn't have the yeasty tang that I detected with the other two CML yeasts that I have tried; US pale and real ale. Secondly, it had a malty, fruity taste that was nice. Not estery fruity from the yeast, but from the Bramling Cross hops; or actually had quite a clean finish.

A long way to go, and anything could happen, but a very encouraging start.

Some bad news; the Ron Pattinsons Lovibond XP appears to have picked up a taint from the king keg I used. My fault, I had lent it to a friend who told me he had used Milton to sterilise it, I must not have rinsed it out enough. School boy error. I'm hoping it will fade with time, as it hasn't cleared yet so there is hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment