Search This Blog

Wednesday 2 January 2019

Happy new year!

In with the new year ~ and a few brewing updates.


  • 1954 Whitbread Double Brown ~ this has had an age to condition now, and is still poor. I've come to the conclusion that I used the wrong yeast (too fruity) and hops (too flowery). Also, I'm not so sure that the gravy browning is as tatse neutral as I thought. No, not in a 'it tastes of gravy' sort of way, but in a wierd caramelly kind of way. Not a success. 
  • John's ESB ~ this has some kind of chill haze that has developed in the bottle. I'm also not so keen on the esters now it has had time to mature; I won't be fermenting Liberty Bell at these temps again. Underneath, however, there is the basis of a good recipe, so I'll adapt this and try it again.
  • East Street Best Extra stout ~ this is ready to drink and is really good. Win win!
  • 1934 Barclay Perkins Draught Lager - this is now conditioning. If you remember, I was going to brew this recipe again but wth CML California Common yeast rather than the Kolsch yeast I used here. However, I have now got my head around water treatment, and all received wisdom suggests that this will improve my beer no end. It seems daft to brew beer that is less perfect than I can make it, so a side by side comparison wouldn't be fair. I'm jut going to crack on and use the CC yeast to brew a different Barclay Perkins lager, probably their Sparking Ale from one of Ron Pattinson's books.
  • Whats up next? Well, I fancy brewing a pale mild, and am nearly there with the recipe. I had said I was going to bottle all my ales from now on, but am tempted to ung this one in a King Keg. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment