Search This Blog

Thursday 8 November 2018

1934 Barkley Perkins Draught Lager (not)

Today was brew day for the Kolsch yeast version of this lager. The mash schedule was easier than I thought, and the temperatures all appeared about right after each addition.

However, the pre boil gravity was down a bit (1035 rather than 1037) but the post boil was way off, 1039/40 rather than 43. It must be an extraction efficiency thing as volumes were bang on. I'm wondering if I should leave the rests longer, as in the original brewery, it would have taken longer for the mash to reach rest temperature (Kristen England does point this out in the notes of Rons post, which I appear to have managed to ignore).

The immersion chiller got the wort down to 23/4° in a reasonable time, yay for autumn water table temperatures, and I then left it in a water bath with a couple of ice packs. Pitched 2 packs of CML Kolsch yeast when the wort was around 18°, but falling rapidly, and I had a peek tonight and the yeast was just starting while the wort was about 14. The weather forecast tonight is for lows of 9° so hopefully it will settle at 12° when the heater kicks in.

No comments:

Post a Comment