Search This Blog

Monday 29 October 2018

More Historic 'sort of' Lager

Bit if an update in these plans. It has occurred to me that as I plan to ferment the two yeasts at different temperatures, which means I need to use different water baths for temperature control, there is no advantage to splitting a batch into two 10L FV's. Originally, I had this idea of two identical, bar the yeast, batches sat side by side in the same water bath so as to give a common environment and less variables between the two batches so that all the differences would be down to the yeasts. However, now they will be at different temperatures, and may well need different duration's for their primary fermentation, and adding to this is the fact that a further email exchange with CML has confirmed that the yeasts will benefit from a diactyl rest, I've decided I'm just going to do two batches, probably a few weeks apart as I will want to do an ale next.

I've ordered the Saaz and the yeasts, so I just need to get the malts. I'm going to do the Kolsch first, I think. Good news is all the weather forecasters are warning of something of a cold snap, so I should have no issues keeping the water bath at 12 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment