Search This Blog

Tuesday 2 October 2018

1954 Whitbread Double Brown & Kentucky Common updates

The Kentucky common is carbed up, but really really cloudy. It went into the PB clear as a bell, so I'm hoping it will settle down. Tastes nice; clean, slightly malty. The hop character has disappeared somewhat, or it may be being masked by the yeast that can be tasted. I'm going to leave this alone for 2 weeks to drop clear.

The 1954 Whitbread Double Brown has finished at 1006, which gives an ABV of around 6% after priming. Yikes! Its as totally clear, so I will bottle this at the weekend. It isn't very brown at all, more amber, so I can only assume it was coloured up with caramel by Whitbread. If I can get my hands on some brewers caramel before bottling day I'll do the same.

Up next will be, erm, don't know yet. Maybe a Graham Wheeler recipe? Still deciding.

No comments:

Post a Comment