Search This Blog

Thursday 25 January 2018

Coopers Brew A + mini-mash #2

After 2 days, the airlock has stopped, and looking at the lack of krausen, I think its nearly done. Had this been any other yeast, I would have suspected a stall, but the threads on the UK Home Brew Forum suggest that this rapid fermentation is normal. I'm still going to leave it in the FV for the normal 2 weeks to clean up, but am considering dropping the temperature for the last week to aide clearing. As the rapid fermentation stage is over, I'll probably add the hop tea at this point, and take a sample for gravity testing. I didn't get any 'sewer' smells that you sometimes get with kits while fermenting, with this brew ~ I've read that this odor may be caused by a stressed yeast; perhaps the brew fridge temperature control, size of the yeast pitch (11g rather than the usual 7g kit yeast) or the fact that there are no simple sugars in this brew have helped?

No comments:

Post a Comment