Search This Blog

Saturday 19 March 2011

Beer Review #2 : Samuel Smiths 'Old Brewery Pale Ale'


Brewer: Samuel Smiths
Brew: Old Brewery Pale Ale
A.B.V. : 5.1%
Format: Bottle
Score: 8.5 / 10
Review: Yum, yum yum yum, yum yum. Yum.

Oh, I actually have to review this as well? Ok then...

If your palette is all Sierra Nevada when it comes to pale ales, you will be uninspired by this brew, as it is a traditional English Pale Ale. The first thing you will notice is that its copper colour is much darker than many 'modern' pales ~ but then this is a traditional beer. It isn't as highly hopped as modern pales, either. But, by God, it's tasty. Despite it's darker colour compared to the new comers, it is still a light in body ale with a nice bitterness. I could happily sink several of these among friends in a session without feeling bloated. No strong malty taste detected by me, but then I think I have a fairly insensitive palette to malt (which I do enjoy in other beers). Like many English traditionals, and the hops provide more bitter than aroma. But, as I have said, yummy yum yum yum. It works.

No comments:

Post a Comment