Search This Blog

Saturday 2 February 2019

1928 Barclay Perkins IPA

There is something about this recipe that jumped out at me from Shut up about Barklay Perkins. It sort of shouted 'this is what IPA'a used to be' before they became overly strong flower bombs. I can't find American 6-row malt anywhere in the UK, but read somewhere on a substitution chart to try UK lager malt. I had hook head pale and lager in stock so they were used. Finally, I don't have actual #3 brewers invert to hand, so made a substitute using the unrefined cane sugar and the dilution method here. One of the yeasts Kristen English suggests is Notty, so I used Mangrove Jacks New World Strong, which is really their Northern English Brown, and is meant to have similar characteristics to Notty.

So the final recipe was;

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: 1928 Barclay Perkins IPA

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: English IPA
Boil Time: 120 min
Batch Size: 20 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 29 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.034
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)


STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 4.94%
IBU (tinseth): 40.46
SRM (morey): 10.37

FERMENTABLES:
2.43 kg - Hook Head Pale Malt(57.3%)
0.75 kg - Irish Lager (17.7%)
0.56 kg - Flaked Corn (13.2%)
0.5 kg - #3 Brewers invert sub (11.8%)

HOPS:
8 g - Challenger, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Boil for 120 min, IBU: 10.83
32 g - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 21.04
17 g - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 8.59
8 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 67 C, Time: 90 min, Amount: 11.2 L
2) Sparge, Temp: 72 C, Time: 15 min, Amount: 23.5 L
Starting Mash Thickness: 3 L/kg

YEAST:
Mangrove Jack - New World Strong Ale M42

My weighing scales packed up, I suspect a flat battery, just as I was going to weigh the last hop additions, both fuggles. Luckily, I had an unopened 100g bag of them. So I split it in half visially to get 50g, the visually split this into thirds as the two additions add up to 50g in a one third / two third ratio, give or take.

I dod the whole mash / boil outside to minimise the smell in the house (I usually mach in the conservatory), so I'm not sure how that affected the temperature retention in my mash tun, I really must get a digital thermometer with a probe so I can record this sort of stuff. Finally, I treated the water using Grahams Wheelers calculator to give a 'Dry Pale Ale' profile.

All went well, all be it a very long day with the long boil and mash times. I hit exactly 1050, and my pre-boil gravity was within a point as well. There was tons of cold break / trub / gunk in the boiler, however, which I didn't want to carry through into the FV, so I only realised 18.5 / 19L into the FV rather than 20, but I'm not that fussed. The immersion chiller got the wort down to 16.5° before I knew it, so the yeast was pitched at that temp and the fermenting fridge set to 18°. 18 hours later, there was some signs of life, but by 24 hours it was in full swing. Really looking forward to this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment